Yellowstone National Park

Badlands National Park - Permits

Backcountry Permits

Backcountry Use Permits are required for all backcountry overnight camping, horse/stock use, and river use. Permits are obtainable at all visitor centers. Backcountry permits must be obtained in person at park visitor centers up to 24 hours in advance of the trip.

A backcountry use fee of $10.00 per permit is charged for all overnight use, with all revenue being used for backcountry-related projects.

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits are required for nontraditional, or unusual, uses and activities such as weddings, or for groups of 40 or more hiking in the Chisos Mountains. Requests for Special Use Permits may be made by writing the Superintendent or calling the park (432-477-1108) to initiate the process. Allow AT LEAST two weeks for processing. Fees for these permits may apply.

Commercial Use Authorization

Permits are required of all operators who provide any and all goods, activities, agreements or other services to the general public which take place, at least in part, in the park, uses park resources and are undertaken for or results in compensation, monetary gain, benefit or profit to an individual, organization or corporation.