America The Beautiful - Access Pass

Geyser in Yellowstone NP
Geyser in Yellowstone NP by US-Parks

Contact Information About Passes

Please defer all parks pass questions, including Disability Passes, replacement passes, etc to the USGS. They issue the passes therefore questions should be sent to them. You can find them here: USGS General Information
USGS Senior Pass Information
For questions about the pass, contact 1-888-ASK-USGS and press 1. (888-275-8747, option 1)

Where to Purchase

Are you trying to find out where to purchase the Access Pass? The pass MUST be purchased IN PERSON at one of the following parks listed on this page

What is the Access Pass?

The Access Pass is the replacement for the Golden Access Passport as of January 2007. The pass is for citizens or permanent residents of the United States, regardless of age, who have been medically determined to have a permanent disability. It provides access to, and use of, any Federal recreation site that charges an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee and provides a discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees. The pass must be obtained in person. What does it cost and how long is it valid? The Access Pass is free, and it is valid for the lifetime of the pass holder. Photo identification may be requested to verify pass ownership. If I have a Golden Access Passport is it still valid? Yes, Golden Access Passports are valid for a lifetime and are equivalent to the new Access Pass.

Where can I obtain an Access Pass?

An Access Pass can be obtained in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office. Who qualifies for the Access Pass? The pass may be issued to U.S. Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., regardless of age, that have been medically determined to have a permanent disability that severely limits one or more major life activities.

A permanent disability is a permanent physical, mental, or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working. What type of documentation do I need to present in order to get the Access Pass? Some examples of acceptable documentation include: statement by a licensed physician; document issued by Federal agency such as the Veteran's Administration, Social Security Disability Income or Supplemental Security Income; or document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency. If I am partially disabled do I qualify for the Access Pass? If you believe you qualify based on the definition of permanent disability and have supporting official documentation for the disability, you can be issued a pass. Can my child get an Access Pass? Yes. This allows the caregivers to enter Federal Recreation sites when accompanying the child. What if my Access Pass is lost, stolen or damaged? If an Access Pass is lost or stolen, you may be issued a new one with proper documentation. The Access Pass is replaceable if damaged as long as identification is provided to validate ownership and a portion of the pass is identifiable.

Which agencies honor the Access Pass?

The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Access Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees are charged. In addition, the Corps of Engineers and Tennessee Valley Authority may honor the Access Pass. Check with the local site for more information. What does the Access Pass cover? The Access Pass admits pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (Children under 16 always admitted free). My family is traveling in two cars; will the Access Pass let all of us into the site? Only the vehicle with the pass holder is covered. The second vehicle is subject to an entrance fee, or must be carrying a second pass. My spouse and I are each riding our own motorcycle or scooter; will one Access Pass cover both our entries? No. At sites with per vehicle entrance fees the Access Pass will cover entrance for the pass holder on one motorcycle only.

Does the Access Pass include any discounts at Federal Recreation sites?

The Access Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires. Inquire locally for pass acceptance policies. What are the 50% discount guidelines? Inquire locally for pass acceptance policies. In general discounts are honored as follows: Individual Campsites: The discount only applies to the fee for the campsite physically occupied by the pass holder, not to any additional campsite(s) occupied by members of the pass holder's party. Sites with Utility Hookups: If utility fees are charged for separately there is no discount. The discount may apply if the utility fee is combined (seamless) with the campsite fee. Group Campsites and Facilities (including, but not limited to, group facilities, picnic areas or pavilions): There is no discount for group campsites and other group facilities that charge a flat fee. If the group campsite has a per person fee rate, only the pass holder receives a discount; others using the site pay the full fee. Guided Tours: The pass offers discounts on some guided tours. Only the pass holder receives a discount if one is offered. Transportation Systems: It depends. Check with the local recreation site.

Concessionaire Fees, Special Recreation, and Special Park Use Permit Fees: These fees might include, but are not limited to, lodging, campgrounds, tours, etc. Each concession contract varies with the site and the agency. Please check directly with the local recreation site about their discount policies.

How can I tell the difference between a Standard Amenity Fee, an Expanded Amenity Fee, a Special Recreation Permit Fee, or a Concessionaire Fee?

There are thousands of Federal recreation sites and fees vary across the Federal agencies. Please inquire locally about fees, pass acceptance and discount policies. Does my Access Pass provide any discounts at Cooperating Association bookstores or gift shops that are located in the Federal Recreation sites (i.e. the Grand Canyon or Okeefenokee bookstores)? No. The Access Pass does not cover discounts in on-site bookstores or gift stores. Is an Access Pass valid at State Parks or local Recreation Areas? No. Federal Recreation sites are operated by the Federal government, whereas State Parks are operated by state governments, and local Recreation sites are operated by local governments.

Announcements: NEW! Park Journals and Community Photo Galleries! Share your adventures & photos of your favorite parks: Join Today!